Bangkok University has a policy to promote sports activities by awarding scholarships and welfares to students with athletic ability. The objectives are as follows:
- To promote students’ health and add value to their life;
- To enhance harmony and relationship with others in society;
- To achieve excellence, preparedness, and confidence;
- To encourage sport spirit (professionally accepting the result, lose or win), moral and ethics
- To provide students of outstanding athletic ability with a chance to study at the tertiary level of education.
- Being a national team athlete or national team youth athlete
- Being an athlete who has ever joined the Thailand National Games or Thailand National Youth Games
- Being a Thai or ASEAN student athlete
- Being an athlete who has ever joined a sports competition of any kind or class organized by the Sports Authority of Thailand
- For a rugby football athlete, having received a blazer from one’s former school
In order for the university to have the most potential athletes and for the selection process to be fair, the university observes the following process.
Interested secondary and university students fill out an application form at the Sports and Student Activities Office of both campuses (for City Campus, contact an officer at Building 8 on the 8th floor, tel. 1572-1573 and for Rangsit Campus, contact an officer at Building A6 on the 1st floor, tel. 2572). Applicants must attach relevant documents, including certificates, letters of recommendation from any sports associations, etc.
- Athletic Ability Test
Every applicant has to pass an athletic ability test for each kind of sports. The University will have a committee to select the athlete.
- Written Examination
Every applicant has to sit for BU written examination, exactly the same as other regular students.
Every applicant who has successfully passed BU written examination and athletic ability test is required to have an interview with the selection committee.
- Announcement and Self-report
After BU has announced the names of the successful candidates, all of them have to present themselves at the date and time specified.
- Scholarship Status and Registration
A successful candidate is required to sign a scholarship contract in order to gain a status of “BU athlete scholarship student.” Only after then can one register for classes, according to the terms and conditions set by BU.
Policy on Giving Support to Scholarship Athletes
1.1 In terms of registration and class attendance, all BU scholarship student athletes will:
1.1.1 Gain a tuition fee waiver when retaking a failed subject;
1.1.2 Receive advice from Student Counseling Office in deciding proper subjects upon registration;
1.1.3 Gain permission to be absent from classes whenever they have to participate in sports competitions within and outside the University. However, they have to submit to the instructor the Invitation Letter from the sports organizer and BU Request Form for Checking Class Hours.
1.2 In terms of tutoring, all BU scholarship athlete students will:
1.2.1 Get free preparatory classes before the semester starts;
1.2.2 Get additional teaching (tutorial) before midterm and final examinations;
1.2.3 Get supplementary teaching from BU Tutorial Program.
1.3 In terms of examination:
All BU scholarship athlete students will have to take examinations as scheduled by the Academic Affairs Office. On condition that there is competition on the same day as an examination, they should do the following:
1.3.1 Get the Request Form for Examination Postponement at the Records Office;
1.3.2 Submit the Request Form for Exam Postponement to the Sports Department at the Sports and Student Activities Office. The University will issue a new examination schedule for them.
1.3.3 In case that a national team athlete goes abroad for a competition during midterm examination period, he/she is required to submit the Request Form for Examination Postponement and Invitation Letter from the organizer to the Sports and Student Activities Office. The University will give a chance for the student scholarship athlete to take a 100% Examination.
1.4 Study Duration
Regular or special bachelor’s degree 6-year scholarship
Master’s degree 3-year scholarship
- Activities and Sports
All scholarship athlete students are required to attend all of the activities set by the University in each academic year. Failure to do so will affect the decision of giving the scholarship in the following year. Examples of required activities are as follows.
Scholarship Athlete Students Orientation Ceremony (in cooperation with Loan and Scholarship Department)
Scholarship Athlete Students Meeting with the Deans
Scholarship Athlete Students Meeting with the University Executives
Submission of a registration form and class schedules of all semesters to the Sports and Student Activities Office for records
Other activities as assigned
|Scholarship for Outstanding Academic Performance|
Details of the Scholarship
The Scholarship is granted to BU student who has the highest cumulative scores compared against his or her peers in the same major and of the same year. Each year, 150 scholarships are provided to make the students and their family proud of their outstanding academic performance, eager to continue and produce great academic records, and able to become role models or good examples for other students to follow.
- Having completed 2 semesters with the cumulative score of 4.00 (out of 4.00 score scale) gained from the minimum number of credits required by the curriculum
- Having completed at least 2 semesters with the highest cumulative score (but not lower than 3.80 out of 4.00 score scale) when compared against other students of the same major and the same year, from the minimum number of credits required by the curriculum
- Upon completion of the second semester of the academic year, students entering in the second semester must have earned the credits not lower than those of the first semester.
- Never getting W or F in any subject
- Never having an academic leave in any semester
- Having good conduct and never violating the university’s rules and regulations
- In case two or more students have the same cumulative grade after the second semester of their final year of study, the winner will be the one who has the highest grades in major requirements, major electives, or core courses respectively. The scholarship will be granted to only one student, unless two or more students have the same cumulative grade in every subject.
- The scholarship recipient will be waived tuition and lab fees in all semesters of the year he or she receives the scholarship. However, he or she will still have to pay for other fees as required by the University.
- The committee’s decision is final and absolute.
- Those with the qualifications of # 1- 6 above.
- Transfer students who have completed at least 2 semesters at the new school or department
- Those who already have other scholarships from the University, with tuition and fees waiver or monthly stipend.
For more information, please contact:
119 Rama 4 Road, Klong-toei, Bangkok 10110
Tel : (662)350 3500 ext. 1582, 1585
9/1 Moo. 5 Phahonyothin Road, Pathum Thani Province 12120
Tel : (662)902 0299 ext. 2414, 2415
Email : email@example.com